A common complaint I hear about Windows 8 and 8.1 is the fact that the computer starts up and goes straight to the Start Screen instead of displaying the Desktop. You can customise Windows startup so that it takes you straight to your desktop, and I’m going to show you how.
To show the Desktop at Startup, follow these steps:
- Start your computer and allow the Start Screen to be displayed
- Click the Desktop tile to go to the Desktop
- Right mouse click on the Taskbar at the bottom of the window
- Select Properties
- The Taskbar and Navigation Properties dialog box will appear
- Click the Navigation tab
- Within the Start Screen area, tick the box for Show my desktop background on Start
- Click OK
- Restart your computer to test the option functions correctly
I hope this helps you to customise your computer and make day-to-day use a little easier. If you are struggling with any aspects of using Windows 8.0 or 8.1 please do not hesitate to contact me using the Contact Me page or social media.
If you are eligible for the free upgrade to Microsoft Windows 10 and would like assistance with the upgrade process, be sure to see my post here.