A great feature of Microsoft Windows 10 is the ability to login to your computer using a PIN, or Personal Identification Number. In August 2014, Australia saw a change from using signatures to authorise credit card transactions to using a PIN. This has provided greater security for credit card transactions and the fraud associated with those. It now seems that this is being taken on by Microsoft and personally I think it’s a great idea. The ability to set a login PIN for your computer provides increased security and the sensitive data it may contain. It also makes it quicker to log in to the various services offered using Microsoft Windows 10.
For those who have upgraded from a previous version of Microsoft Windows to version 10, you will continue to use your standard login details to access your computer. If you run a clean install or buy a new computer with Microsoft Windows 10 pre-loaded, you will be prompted to set a PIN for your login from the start.
I have used option one, upgraded from a previous version of Windows so I am still using a password to log in. Let’s look at how we can set a login PIN instead.
Let’s get started
- Click the Start button and choose Settings
- The Windows Settings window will be displayed
- Select Accounts
- From the Accounts window select Sign-in options
- Under the heading PIN, click the Add button
- You will now be prompted to re-enter the password for your Microsoft Account
- Type your password and click Sign in
- The Set up a PIN window will be displayed
- Type your PIN into the New PIN box and then repeat in the Confirm PIN box
- Click OK
- Under the PIN heading, you will now see Change or Remove buttons
- Restart your computer to login using your new PIN
If you ever want to change your PIN, simply navigate to the Accounts window again, click the Change button and follow the prompts. Some other useful Windows 10 articles include: how to create a folder shortcut on the Taskbar, backup data using File History (Windows 10), back up data using Windows Backup and Restore, how to display multiple clocks in Windows 10, improve performance of your Windows 10 computer, and create a custom toolbar menu in Windows 10. Comment below if you have any questions.