Microsoft OneNote provides several different ways you can access your notebook content. There are two desktop app options available: OneNote 2016 and OneNote for Windows 10 each with their own unique features and then there is the option to access your notebooks via OneNote Online. Be sure to check out my post on how to tell which version of OneNote you have.
OneNote for Windows 10 comes preinstalled with all Windows 10 based computers. OneNote 2016 which is now referred to as OneNote desktop app is available for free and can be downloaded from here. It is available for PC and Mac and is also compatible with Windows 11.
OneNote Online gives you the flexibility to log in and access your content from any computer connected to the Internet. This is very useful when you are away from your computer or do not have access to your usual system. The ability to access OneNote online has saved me several times when working offsite.
Access OneNote Online
Firstly you can access OneNote online via the Office Portal.
- Go to the Microsoft 365 Portal at office.com.
- Log in with your Microsoft 365 username and password.
- The Office portal will be displayed:
- From the list of applications, click OneNote.
- Now choose an existing Notebook you wish to view.
- The Notebook will now be displayed:
Secondly, you can access OneNote online directly via the OneNote website:
- Open a web browser.
- Enter OneNote.com into the URL.
- You will be redirected to the Microsoft.com website.
- Click the Sign in button.
- Enter your username and password.
- You will now have access to your Notebooks.
Install OneNote for Windows 10
Microsoft OneNote for Windows 10 comes preinstalled with any Windows 10 computer. You can also download it via the Microsoft Store.
OneNote for Windows 10 has a sleeker appearance but does not have the familiar ribbon at the top. The section tabs appear down the left-hand pane with pages displayed parallel to them.
Check out my article on how to tell which version of OneNote you have here.
Feel free to comment below with any questions.